Wednesday 7 March 2012

school reunion - a thing I swore I'd never attend!


I tried to write poetry that rhymes - doesn't work but it took so long I'm putting it up anyway!

 
It was our school reunion
A thing I swore I’d never attend
And I was sitting fuming
Wishing it would come to an end

But thirty years had raced past
Since I’d seen anyone in the room
Is it me or does life pass really fast?
From the crowded classroom to the tomb

There’s Billy Gillipsie, sure he was always a twat
With his constant nose picking and nasty mood
Surely his wife could have done better than that!
But she seems to be eating practically all of the food.

And everyone is asking the questions that matter
How well are you doing? How much do you earn?
How big is the house? Is there anything sadder?
It just makes my stomach quite ready to turn

I don’t care what you have, your house or your bank balance
I don’t want to know how important you are,
I stand here in quiet desperation and silence
Wondering how much of this I can continue to bear.

Then little Richie Hamilton came into the place
Wearing some torn jeans and laughing out loud
And suddenly the room had a different pace
He didn’t seem boastful and proud

He spoke of old teachers and tricks we had done
The memories came back rich and complete
 of laughter and games that we played in the sun
when we all thought we had the world at our feet

With his tales we remembered the years that had passed
The hopes the dreams, the losses the gains
The moments that mattered and it was a reunion at last
When boasting is over and friendship remains

2 comments:

  1. Here! Here! Colette. Found a similar experience at my 50th high school class reunion - a happy experience I'll never forget. When the university 50th came around I opted not to attend it because I predicted the things you have described. Three years later met up with three great uni colleagues. Two of them had made my identical decision; the third had attended the 50th and was duely disappointed. The four of us had a most wonderful reunion - so many laughs and such great memories which linked us together more firmly than ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so glad you had a chance to touch base with old friends, thats what so many go to these reunions to find. So sad they often leave disappointed.

    ReplyDelete