Friday 15 June 2012

You mean, we've only managed to reach the moon?



I love the look of this ship, it has all the beauty you expect from high tech stuff but none of the nasty drawbacks to the environment.  It just looks space ship like.  

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2010/apr/01/turanor-solar-power-yacht-launch 


Speaking as someone who was eleven when mankind landed on the moon, I have to confess my complete disappointment that the moon was as far as we had got!  Reared on Star Trek and Lost in Space I had felt sure that we had at least mastered space travel to the nearest galaxy.  So, I remember trying to muster enthusiasm for the whole moon landing project in 1969 in front of excited family members, while trying to hide my own bitter disillusionment.  The actual footage of a bulky man clambering out down a ladder onto a barren landscape seemed rather poor pickings – where were the aliens, the phasers, the amazing landscapes?  I suspected if Star Trek, rather than NASA, had done the whole job it would have been much better presented and had much more action.  

This was followed by a major natural disaster somewhere in the third world, I don’t remember where, and as we watched images of suffering on our TV, I asked why didn’t they send someone like Thunderbirds to help the poor people.  Imagine my outrage when I discovered that there was not even an equivalent real life version of the team, equipped with the best kits, machines, people and technology to fly in to the zone and help.  It was at this point I began to have serious reservations about those in authority.  What were they thinking of?  If I could see what was needed at age eleven, what kind of morons were in charge of us all?  

So reaching mid fifties I found myself strangely excited about this ship, it is my kind of Thunderbirds/Star Trek piece of science.  It looks beautiful, runs on sun and produces no pollution – what’s not to like?  Factoring in that 15 of the largest traditional ships on the ocean at present produce as much sulphur dioxide as all the world’s 760 million cars together, isn’t about time such clean beauties as these were designed?

No comments:

Post a Comment