Wednesday 14 September 2016

Art in Valetta, all shapes and sizes

Entered the St James Cavalier Centre and was rather confused by an art exhibit.  But to be honest, I am no artist so take my opinions with a pinch of salt.  So here goes...


I found the rather long explanation on video by the artist unconvincing.  I reckon if you have to emphasis simplicity and witter on about the hidden meaning in each brush stroke you are stretching the margins of artistic endeavour a little too thin.  Looking carefully at each one I searched for what I could find and came up with very little.

Moving onto the galleries upstairs I really enjoyed the photo display on exhibition.  I urge all who haven't been to check it out before it goes.  To entice you I am showing a few with my own captions (apologies to wonderful photographers whose work this really is).


Running down sand dunes with kites is something only kids think of doing - but we all should.


Children make such wonderful subjects of photography.

Real beauty cuts across all cultures and boundaries.


Some photographs are so good they become paintings in our heads.


You can never have enough colours.

A whole new meaning to the expression, "The train was packed this morning!"

A new way to use old bottle tops and carry it off with style.
Making art is about getting down and personal with your creation and becoming part of the joy of it.


Transporting nuclear warheads in an ecologically sound manner. (only joking)


Why are you looking at me? it is purely circumstantial evidence, I am totally innocent.

Leaving the galleries I am confronted with the beautiful square outside and wonder why someone thought it a good idea to put a pillar with what looks like part of someone's colon on top!  (see white monstrosity on black stone underneath) There are some modern art sculptures that seem criminal in their ugliness.  The surrounding beauty serves to only stress its hideousness.


On leaving Valetta through its main gates I check out an exhibition in the Parliament Building on diversity and loved the Maltese children's take on this topic.  Their pure hearted expressions won me over completely and filled me with hope for the future of us all.






2 comments: