Thursday 26 November 2015

What gives me joy!



I have ever filled notebooks with my scribbles.  A dear cousin in N. Ireland, foolishly volunteered to store my diaries and notebooks when I left for Malta.  When I turned up with five huge plastic containers filled to the brim with writings, she coped really well and kept her promise to look after them all.  I did feel guilty leaving her dining room a quarter filled!  My favourites are the moleskin books and for some reason they need to be with squared paper not lined.  They have an envelope at the back for bits and bobs, they can cope with photos stuck in, flowers, cards etc and are pretty indestructible.  


When, I was at school and university there was a family tradition that my Dad would present us with a parker pen before an important exam.  My parents never asked any of us if we had done our homework.  They never pushed school work or studying as of vital importance at all.  Strange in a sense because they were both teachers.  So this purchase of a pen was the sole encouragement to excel.  It was all that was needed.  To this day I get excited by a new pen.  Full of hope for the future and armed to cope with it all.


My mother uses Oil of Olay and every baby I ever handed her was pressed lovingly to her cheek while she sang songs to them.  When they were handed back at the end of the day they all smelt of this cream.  They later brought out a new version with suncream and I tried it, but realised that it was the familiar smell that I associated with my Mum that made the difference.  So I am back to using  the original cream and each time I use it I remember all the love and closeness we have shared.  Why is smell such a powerful trigger to memories?



I discovered Bach rescue cream decades ago.  When any of my children fell and hurt themselves this was the stuff that was slapped on.  We called it a miracle cream and I was never sure if its ability to cure was psychosomatic or genuine.  All I can say is that to this day when I find an ache, rash or pain this is the stuff I rub on and invariably feel much better. 


Look to this day,
For it is life, the very life of life.
In its brief course lie all the
Verities and realities of your existence.
The bliss of growth,
The glory of action,
The splendor of beauty;
For yesterday is but a dream,
And tomorrow is only a vision;
But today well lived makes
Every yesterday a dream of happiness,
And every tomorrow a vision of hope.
Look well, therefore, to this day.
Such is the salutation of the dawn!

(A beautiful old Sanskrit poem) 

6 comments:

  1. That is a lovely post, Colette. I'm with you on the notebooks and pens, and Rescue cream IS magic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. glad you agree Imelda, thought I was the only one convinced of its powers x

      Delete
  2. Better than the headless chicken!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. there was me thinking you were fond of headless chickens like me! xx

      Delete
  3. This is a wonderful, lovely and positive post. The little things can make such a difference by the memories they bring and the emotions they stir. Beauty fluid is just such a wonderful and signature smell.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a wonderful, lovely and positive post. The little things can make such a difference by the memories they bring and the emotions they stir. Beauty fluid is just such a wonderful and signature smell.

    ReplyDelete