Thursday 5 March 2015

Crazy but lucid on Skype


The Skype calls and I race to turn off radio 4 and click on the green icon to accept the call.  Then there in the centre of the screen appears your face looking perplexed.  You stare with that piercing intensity only the under twos can muster.  Not old enough to pretend sociability or even feign interest.  I am pulling out all the stops on my end.  Beaming, smiles, hands clapping, launching into nursery rhythm’s we’ve shared on visits months ago.  You inspect me coldly, gosh it’s a tough audience tonight!  Then, something in my repertoire clicks and a huge smile emerges.  He has recognized his granny.  She of the crazy attention seeking over performance is familiar once more.  He babbles, at times he leans in as if to kiss the screen, he waves and claps.  It as if the entire audience of a packed Albert Hall is in rapturous applause and I feel a deep sense of satisfaction.  It was a tough show but the seasoned performer knows how to pull off magic.  The Skype call finishes and I feel the remains of the adrenaline surge through my body as the screen darkens.  I am left, the connection broken, but triumphant.  Another spider link established between that precious soul and mine.  For Charlie, I’d even master headstands if it brought forth those life giving smiles.  What is this granny hood madness?

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. indeed, and gosh has he energy to burn! Must take after his great gran xx

      Delete