Thursday 30 January 2014

In a bit of a sushi pickle



Was a little cruel.  Yesterday evening Daniel and I went for a walk along the sea front towards St Jullian’s Bay from Sliema.  Feeling a bit peckish we decided to get a take out from a Japanese sushi restaurant.  I knew I had 13 euros but the cheapest selection on offer was 17 euros.  So I told Daniel to go ahead and order while I walked to the nearest cash dispenser along the road to get some more money.  It was his anxious, “Don’t be too long” as I left that gave me the idea.  The walk to get the money took longer than I expected and when I returned to the restaurant Daniel looked relieved to see me come through the door.  But, his face fell when I told him,
“The hole in the wall machine took my card!”
Daniel was panicked, “What! I don’t have my wallet with me”
I complained bitterly about losing my card and Daniel pointed out,
“They have already started preparing the food, what shall we do?”
I told him,
“Look we’ll explain the situation and they’ll understand, I can come back tomorrow and pay them then.”
Daniel looked at me as if I was crazy, “They won’t let us take the food without paying!”
There was a whole table of men dressed in posh suits eating at a long table next to us so we had to whisper to keep our situation to ourselves.
We argued to and fro and he was getting annoyed with the whole mortification of the situation.  I suggested we offer to wash dishes to pay for the meal.  He said angrily that would not work.  I came up with a whole string of equally useless suggestions (including running for the door) and he held his head in his hands in despair telling me to be quiet so he could think.

When, I eventually told him that I had actually got the money from the cash dispenser the look he gave me was priceless.  Don’t even ask why I do such things.  I have completely no idea!  I laughed all the way home delighted with the entertainment and the sushi.

No comments:

Post a Comment